Old Nursing Home
The Delegation voted 9-1 on 6/17/13 to
- Demolish the buildings four wings, considering them too costly to repair;
- Remove the front 5,000 square feet of the building’s core;
- Construct a frost wall to fill the hole left after the front is torn off;
- Re-roof the 10,000 square feet remaining of the core; and
- Spend $175,000 to renovate the sections of the building that house the maintenance, laundry, kitchen, wood boiler and 3,000 square feet of office space.
In all, the amount the commissioners are allowed to spend shall not exceed $1 million. The money to pay for this will be taken from the money left over from the bond secured to construct the new nursing home.
The Delegation directed the Commissioners to issue a “Request for Proposals” (RFP) for any for profit or not for profit organization to invest in the front 5,000 square feet or in the wings to house their operations to avoid those sections being torn down.
Organizers for a transitional housing project for veterans made a proposal and were given until January of 2015 to present a business plan. The group eventually decided not to pursue the project at that location.